Friday 6 January 2012

Why I'm glad Schneider's starting tomorrow (and it's nothing against Luongo!)

Here are some words that rhyme with Cory:
Story, Glory, Allegory, Montessori...  

Okay fine, I'll bite.

For the past few months I've been patiently listening in on the debates about the relative merits of playing Lu or Schneider in various situations. I've heard every argument in the book, from the curiously popular "We need to parade Schneids around the league so we can trade him" to the tinfoil-hat-wearing "Lu will obviously hurt himself if he plays nooners because it happened that one time." I've even had the unfortunate experience of falling asleep in the third period while listening to the game on the TEAM 1040 (damn you, three hour time difference), only to wake up at 3am realizing that my subconscious has been taking in the post-game show for 2+ hours. Nobody wants to wake up to the sound of "Mike from Surrey" providing his thoughtful insight on goaltending. It's truly the stuff of nightmares. And it's even worse when you're a goalie like I am.

I support AV's decision to play Schneider against Boston, but not for the reasons that most people will cite. I don't believe that it's about "protecting Luongo" from a hostile environment. Lu is a grown man, not a rescue puppy. I don't think it's because of a lack of trust in Lu, either - the guy's coming off a very solid shutout, and his often-shaky glove hand has been steady of late. And I certainly don't think this should be about "showcasing" Cory for a trade. Those who know me are familiar with my stance on trading goalies, i.e. NEVER EVER TRADE A GOOD GOALIE EVER. Anyone who disagrees never experienced the Snow/Essensa/Weekes/Potvin/Cloutier years *throws salt over shoulder*. No, I support this move simply because I'm not heartless - playing in Boston, in front of friends and family, will mean the freaking world to Cory Schneider.

I think that sometimes as fans we forget that NHLers are real people. They turn into numbers on a page and we forget that they're an awful lot like the rest of us humans. I was a backup goalie for several years at UBC, and let me tell you, no matter how selfless and diplomatic you try to be, there are times when you're absolutely jumping out of your skin on the bench, wanting to be in the game. I think that as a goalie there'd be something seriously wrong with you if you wouldn't trade your figurative left nut for that tap on the shoulder. It would be torturous for Schenider if he had to sit this one out on the bench. The kid's been working like a dog all year, so let's throw him a bone already!

In summary: while playing Luongo could be perceived by some as a risk, going with Schneider is a golden opportunity. I predict a great game from #35 tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Other than your needless swipe at the legendary Bob Essensa (more god than man really), I agree with your take on the importance of giving Schneider the hometown start. As a Leafs fan, I've seen dozens of local boys come home to dominate the Leafs so I readily acknowledge the hometown boost that a player gets. Either that, or the Leafs aren't very good.
    I fully expect Schneider to play great tomorrow, further increasing his trade value. Luongo isn't going anywhere, so the Canucks should maximize their return on this asset. But that's another discussion.

    BP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you really say trade your left nut for that tap on the shoulder, don't you mean your left eye.
    Newsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh geez... Newson, everyone knows that "figurative nut" is code for eyeball. Come on!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey now, what do you have against "Mike from Surrey"?

    ReplyDelete